Last updated January 12, 2018
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Tennessee, check out Tennessee Sales Tax Resources.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Tennessee?
From the Tennessee Department of Revenue website:
State sales and use tax – Sales tax is imposed on all retail sales, leases and rentals of most goods, as well as taxable services
Unlike many states, the state of Tennessee requires that a seller make at least $4800/year in revenue in the state of Tennessee or your sales tax license could be revoked.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Tennessee?
Anyone applying for a sales tax (or other tax) permit can do so online at the Tennessee Department of Revenue Online Tax Registration.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Tennessee?
- Reason for applying
- Gross sales – (Remember, you must make at least $4800 in revenue per year in the state of Tennessee or your sales tax license could be revoked)
- Date business began
- Business name & location
- Mailing address
- Type of ownership
- Business activity, including products sold
- EDI/EFT, if applicable
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Tennessee?
Tennessee does not charge for a sales tax permit. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Tennessee sales tax permit?
When completed properly and received by the department, a registration number will be issued to qualified applicants. This could be a day or two if registered online or up to a couple weeks if the forms are mailed in.
6. Do you have to renew your Tennessee sales tax permit?
Tennessee does not require renewal of sales tax permits.
7. How can I learn more about Tennessee sales tax?
- Read our Tennessee Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Tennessee Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
Ready to automate sales tax? To learn more about TaxJar and get started, visit TaxJar.com/how-it-works.