This page was updated on June 14, 2017
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in New Jersey, check out our New Jersey Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in New Jersey?
From the New Jersey Department of the Treasury website:
Sales and Use Tax applies to receipts from retail sale, rental, or use of tangible personal property or digital property; retail sale of producing, fabricating, processing, installing, maintaining, repairing, and servicing tangible personal property or digital property; maintaining, servicing, or repairing real property; certain direct-mail services; tattooing, tanning, and massage services; investigation and security services; information services; limousine services; sales of restaurant meals and prepared food; rental of hotel and motel rooms; certain admission charges; certain membership fees; parking charges; storage services; sales of magazines and periodicals; delivery charges; and telecommunications services, except as otherwise provided in the Sales and Use Tax Act.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in New Jersey?
You have two options to register your business for a sales tax permit in New Jersey: online and filling out forms and mailing them in.
For sellers who live in New Jersey, we recommend registering online. To register online, head to the New Jersey Business Registration Page page.
For sellers who live outside of New Jersey but have nexus there for another reason, we recommend registering by paper form. This is because New Jersey’s automated system assumes all registrants are in-state and will try to get you to also register with the Secretary of State (which you, as an out-of-state seller, don’t need to do.) To register, simply print out the relevant form (NJ REG) and fill it out.
PO Box 252
Trenton, NJ 08646-0252
33 West State St 3rd Floor
Trenton, NJ 08608
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in New Jersey?
- Federal Identification Number
- Trade Name
- Type of Ownership
- New Jersey Business Code
- Owner, partnership, corporate officers info
- Other basic info (if business is seasonal, entity, subsidiary, info about what you sell, etc.)
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in New Jersey?
There is no fee required to file Form NJ-REG and register your business. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your New Jersey sales tax permit?
Registering online gives you your Registration within the day of registration. Mailing the forms in could mean it will be a few days or weeks before you get your business registration.
6. Do you have to renew your New Jersey sales tax permit?
New Jersey does not require a renewal on sales tax permits.
7. How can I learn more about New Jersey sales tax?
- Read our New Jersey Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the New Jersey Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Want to simplify sales tax collection, reporting and filing? Try a 30-day free trial of TaxJar!