Last updated July 14, 2017
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Georgia, check out Georgia Sales Tax Resources.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Georgia?
Anyone selling tangible items in the state of Georgia needs a sales tax permit. Specific rules, especially concerning leases, rentals, and even sales of energy can be found at the Georgia Department of Revenue’s Sales & Use Tax page.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Georgia?
You can register your business at the Georgia Tax Center. Just click “register your new Georgia business” to begin.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Georgia?
- Business history including previous state IDs
- Entity type
- Basic info including business name, address, etc.
- Additional business ownership & relationships
- Business activity info
- Withholding information
- Additional personal identifying information for partners
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Georgia?
There is no cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Georgia. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Georgia sales tax permit?
Online registration is fairly quick with your actual permit coming within days after you register. Registering through the mail, though, could take up to 2 weeks.
6. Do you have to renew your Georgia sales tax permit?
Georgia does not require you to renew your sales tax permit.
7. How can I learn more about Georgia sales tax?
- Read our Georgia Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Georgia Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts