Last updated July 17, 2017
These instructions will help you secure a Utah sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Utah check out our Utah Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Utah?
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Utah?
You can register online at Utah’s One Stop Business Registration System.
You can also file by mail using form Form TC-69, Utah State Business and Tax Registration.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Utah?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- Business entity type
- Date you’ll start selling in Utah
- An estimate of your annual net sales and purchases subject to Utah sales and use tax
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Utah?
It’s free to apply for a sales tax permit, but other Utah business registration fees may apply to some businesses.
5. How long does it take to receive your Utah sales tax permit?
If you apply online, you’ll receive a temporary sales tax license number right away. Utah doesn’t specify how long it takes to receive a sales tax permit if applying by mail, but in most states this process takes around 2 to 4 weeks.
6. Do you have to renew your Utah sales tax permit?
The state of Utah does not require you to renew your sales tax permit.
7. How can I learn more about Utah sales tax?
- Read our Utah Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Utah Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts