Release Notes is our new monthly guide covering product improvements across the board, from AutoFile to SmartCalcs. We’re improving TaxJar every day to make sales tax easy for merchants and developers. Take a look at everything we shipped in the month of June!
🚀 50 State AutoFile Now Available
TaxJar now provides AutoFile everywhere in the United States, including Texas and Washington! 🇺🇸 Enroll from our dashboard and we’ll begin preparing your tax returns immediately.
We’ve completely revamped our filing system to make it easier and faster to file sales tax returns on your behalf. Enrollment windows have been extended up to 4 days for most states (5 days for TX, WA and 8 days for FL, NV, SC). You’ll also receive a PDF copy of your return after each filing under
Filing History in the TaxJar app.
If you haven’t tried AutoFile yet, now is the perfect time. Your first filing is completely free if you register here.
🌉 California Prepayments
If you have nexus in California, we now support quarterly prepayment periods for reporting and filing. To get started, visit your Account page at https://app.taxjar.com and click State Settings on the left. From there, click the Edit link next to California to change your payment schedule to “Quarterly Prepay – quarterly remitted monthly”:
Click the green Save Information button at the bottom and you’re all set! Go back to the dashboard and review your California local report. Using the filing period picker, you can switch between payment and filing periods for a given quarter.
We’re planning to release prepayment schedules for more states in the months ahead. Get ready!
👕 WooCommerce Product Exemptions
Last month our WooCommerce plugin got some much needed love. Merchants can now set up custom tax classes in Woo and assign them to TaxJar’s built-in product tax codes for exemptions:
For example, clothing products under $110 in states such as New York are exempt from sales tax. Use the `20010` tax code to exempt your assigned products automatically! For a list of supported tax codes, click here.
We also introduced line item taxability to support recurring subscriptions and fixed several issues:
- Fully exempt non-taxable items when tax status is set to “None”
- Fix calculations to use shipping origin when local pickup selected
- Fix caching issues with API requests
Download the latest version of our WooCommerce plugin to begin configuring your catalog for product taxability.
🛠 API Client Updates
We made some minor improvements to our existing API clients based on your help and feedback on GitHub:
- PHP – Improve exception handling
- Ruby – Update gem dependencies
- Python – Support Australia / SST `country_rate` in `rates_for_location` method
- Python – Fix 400 error response handling
🤓 API Documentation Updates
As always, we made some big improvements to our sales tax API documentation. We’re on a mission to provide the best developer experience around for everything sales tax.
- More than 50 new examples for /v2/taxes covering Canada, Australia, European Union, Origin-Based Sourcing, Shipping, Clothing, Food & Grocery, Other Exempt, No Nexus for 5 different languages
- Scenario description support with links to blog resources for additional help
- Copy to clipboard buttons for easy copy and paste of all examples
If you have any questions or need help, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay tuned for more exciting updates next month!