Last updated July 14, 2017
These instructions will help you secure a Colorado sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Colorado, check out our Colorado Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Colorado?
According to the Colorado Department of Revenue, if your business will be selling, renting or leasing tangible personal property, you must obtain a sales tax license and file sales tax returns.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Colorado?
In Colorado, sellers based in-state apply for a Sales Tax License while sellers based out-of-state apply for a Colorado Retailer’s Use Tax License.
- If your business is based in Colorado, and you only have one location apply online here or apply by mail using the Sales Tax /Wage Withholding Account Application (CR 0100) to apply for a Colorado Sales Tax License.
- If you have more than one location in Colorado, complete the Sales Tax /Wage Withholding Account Application (CR 0100) to apply for a Colorado Sales Tax License
- If your business is based outside of Colorado, as of December 1, 2018, all sellers with nexus in Colorado (physical, economic, or otherwise) are required to have a Sales Tax account and collect sales tax on ALL taxable sales.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Colorado?
- Personal identification information
- Business identification information
- Business entity type
- Products that you sell
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Colorado?
For in-state sellers, it costs $16 to apply for a Colorado sales tax license. There’s also a $50 deposit.
For sellers based out-of-state who are applying for a Retailer’s Use Tax License, the permit is free.
5. How long does it take to receive your Colorado sales tax permit?
If you apply online you’ll receive your sales tax permit number the same day. If you file by mail, allow 2-3 weeks to receive your paper license.
6. Do you have to renew your Colorado sales tax permit?
Yes, Colorado sales tax licenses must be renewed every 2 years, at a cost of $16 for each business location in Colorado.
7. How can I learn more about Colorado sales tax?
- Read our Colorado Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Colorado Department of Revenue