Last updated July 17, 2017
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in New York, check out New York Sales Tax Resources.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in New York?
Vendors who are making sales in New York subject to sales tax.
According to the state of New York, you are a New York vendor if:
- you maintain a place of business in the state, such as a store, office, or warehouse, and sell taxable, tangible personal property or services to persons within the state; or
- you solicit business in New York State through employees, independent contractors, agents, or other representatives, and through these persons, sell taxable, tangible personal property or services in New York State; or
- you solicit business through catalogs or other advertising material, and have some additional connection with the state, and through the catalogs you sell taxable, tangible personal property or services; or
- you make sales of taxable products to customers within New York State, and regularly (at least 12 times a year) deliver the products in your own vehicles.
File for your sales tax permit with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in New York?
Register for a sales tax permit at the New York State License Center.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in New York?
General business information such as your name and employer identification number or social security number
Your business location(s) – if you have multiple locations in New York you’ll need to file for a New York sales tax permit for each location
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in New York?
There is no fee to apply for a sales tax permit in New York. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your New York sales tax permit?
Processing time is about 5 days for your New York sales tax permit.
6. Do you have to renew your New York sales tax permit?
No. Permits remain valid until you cancel them or they are revoked by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.
7. How can I learn more about New York sales tax?
- Read our New York Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the New York Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts