Last updated July 17, 2017
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Nevada, check out Nevada Sales Tax Resources.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Nevada?
From the Nevada Department of Taxation website:
Every person, firm, partnership, corporation, etc., engaging in business as a seller of tangible personal property of a kind the retail sale of which is taxable must apply to the Nevada Department of Taxation for permits. Separate permits must be obtained for each place of business and must be conspicuously displayed at the place for which issued and are valid until suspended or revoked by the Commission. If there is a change in location or ownership, a new permit must be obtained. Companies having retail outlets in more than one county must furnish the Department with an estimate of the percentage of gross sales allocated to each county.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Nevada?
Sellers are encouraged to use the Nevada Tax Center.
You can also download the Nevada Business Registration form and fill out the Supplemental Registration portion. Send it to:
Nevada Department of Taxation
1550 College Parkway
Carson City, Nevada 89706
- 3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Nevada?
- DBA (as shown on the Nevada Business Registration form)
- Estimated total monthly receipts
- Estimated total Nevada monthly TAXABLE receipts
- Reporting cycle choice
- Total Nevada business locations
- Information for business registration, such as Social Security Number, address, list of owners, partners, and description of your business
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Nevada?
The state of Nevada charges $15.00 per application for a sales tax permit. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Nevada sales tax permit?
Most permits should be received within 1-2 weeks.
6. Do you have to renew your Nevada sales tax permit?
There is no need to renew your Nevada sales tax permit. Remember if you open a new business location you must register for a new permit.
7. How can I learn more about Nevada sales tax?
- Read our Nevada Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Nevada Department of Revenue
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Here’s a list of vetted sales tax pros.
Want to leave sales tax to the experts? Let TaxJar automate your sales tax so you can get back to the business at hand.