Last updated July 17, 2017
These instructions will help you secure a Nebraska sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Nebraska check out our Nebraska Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Nebraska?
Every person engaged in business as a retailer must register for a sales tax permit. See our Nebraska sales tax page for more about what constitutes “engaged in business” in Nebraska.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Nebraska?
To register for your sales tax license, complete the first page and the Sales & Use Tax portion of the Nebraska Tax Application, Form 20, and mail or fax it to the Department of Revenue:
Nebraska Department of Revenue
PO Box 98903
Lincoln, NE 68509-8903
You may also receive the application packet through the mail. Request it by calling 800-742-7474 (NE and IA) or 402-471-5729. You can also request the packet by email or in person at a Nebraska Taxpayer Assistance Office.
You can now register for your Nebraska sales tax license online!
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Nebraska?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- Business entity type
- Accounting basis (cash, accrual or other) and period (fiscal year, calendar year, etc.)
- Description of your business and/or products
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Nebraska?
It’s free to apply for a Nebraska sales tax license, but other business registration fees may apply.
5. How long does it take to receive your Nebraska sales tax permit?
Nebraska asks applicants to allow two weeks for processing.
6. Do you have to renew your Nebraska sales tax permit?
No, you do not need to renew your Nebraska sales tax permit.
7. How can I learn more about Nebraska sales tax?
- Read our Nebraska Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Nebraska Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts