Last updated July 17, 2017
This is a guide to registering for your sales tax permit in the state of Michigan. See our Michigan Sales Tax guide for more info about Michigan sales tax.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Michigan?
According to the state of Michigan, anybody who “sells tangible personal property” in the state needs to register for a sales tax permit.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Michigan?
Register online at the Michigan Department of Treasury’s Michigan Business One Stop Website.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Michigan?
- Personal and business identification information
- Major business activity
- Business entity type
- Locations of offices or other places of business
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Michigan?
There’s no charge to register for a Michigan sales tax permit, but other business registration fees may apply.
5. How long does it take to receive your Michigan sales tax permit?
As little as 7 business days after completing electronic registration. Usually within 10 days.
6. Do you have to renew your Michigan sales tax permit?
Michigan sales tax permits renew annually unless cancelled. (In the past, Michigan has set all sales tax permits to expire and required renewal, so keep an eye out from communication from the Michigan Department of Treasury should they ever decide to do something like this again.)
7. How can I learn more about Michigan sales tax?
- Read our Michigan Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Michigan Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Have questions about registering for your sales tax permit in Michigan? Start the conversation in the comments!