Last updated July 17, 2017
These instructions will help you secure a Louisiana sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Louisiana check out our Louisiana Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Louisiana?
Anyone who qualifies as a dealer under the definition of the term at R.S. 47:301(4) must apply for a sales tax certificate. A dealer includes every person who manufactures or produces tangible personal property for sale at retail, for use, or consumption, or distribution, or for storage to be used or consumed in a taxing jurisdiction.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Louisiana?
You can register for your Louisiana sales tax license at the Louisiana Department of Revenue’s site “GeauxBiz.com.” Start with a new business registration.
You can watch an instructional video here.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Louisiana?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- A description of your business
- Your NAICS code
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Louisiana?
It’s free to apply for a sales tax permit, but other business registration fees may apply.
5. Do you have to renew your Louisiana sales tax permit?
You must renew your Louisiana sales tax permit within 60 days of the expiration date on the permit.
6. How can I learn more about Louisiana sales tax?
- Read our Louisiana Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Louisiana Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts