For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Indiana, check out Indiana Sales Tax Resources.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Indiana?
All purchases are subject to the sales tax. This includes products and tangible items, food and beverages, and fireworks.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Indiana?
Sales tax is registered through the Indiana Tax Center. Also, payments are made through this website.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Indiana?
- Your estimated monthly taxable sales, if left blank you will be a monthly filer.
- If you are a seasonal business.
- If you provide lodging for less than 30 days.
- If you will sell food and beverage.
- If you will sell alcoholic beverages and your ABC Permit number with expiration date.
- If gasoline will be sold through a metered pump.
- If cars or trucks less than 11,000 lbs. will be rented from this location for less 30 days.
- If income is derived from the sale of tobacco products.
- If yes, from vending machines only.
- If you report sales tax on a consolidated basis is this location included.
- If you want your sales tax returns sent to a different address.
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Indiana?
There is a $25 registration fee for businesses in Indiana. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Indiana sales tax permit?
The Department of Revenue will contact you within 48 hours regarding the status of your application.
6. Do you have to renew your Indiana sales tax permit?
Yes, but the renewal is automatic every two years at no charge.