Last updated July 14, 2017
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Illinois
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Illinois?
Illinois requires that you register for a sales tax permit before you make any sales or purchases for resale, or when you hire an employee.
3. What information do you need to register or a sales tax permit in Illinois?
- Identifying information about your business
- Type of business
- Owners and officers
- Description of business activities
- The addresses of all Illinois locations from where you plan to ship products
4. What important things do I need to know about applying for an Illinois sales tax permit?
Illinois is different from other states in that, when registering, you need to register every location from where your products might ship to customers. This is due to the way the state of Illinois consider out-of-state sellers you should collect sales tax.
Example: If you are an Amazon FBA seller, you should include every Illinois Amazon fulfillment center where your inventory is stored when registering for an Illinois sales tax permit.
Even if you are not an Amazon FBA seller, if you ship products from more than one location in Illinois, you should include this address when registering for your Illinois sales tax permit.
5. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Illinois?
It is free to apply for a sales tax permit in Illinois. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
6. How long does it take to receive your Illinois sales tax permit?
Sellers who register online should receive their Illinois sales tax permit within two business days. If you choose to mail in your Illinois states sales tax permit registration, please allow 6-8 weeks for processing.
7. Do you have to renew your Illinois sales tax permit?
Sellers are not required to renew your Illinois sales tax permit, but you should update it with any address change, ownership change, additional tax responsibilities, or a new location.
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Illinois, check out Illinois Sales Tax Resources.