Last updated July 14, 2017
This post will walk you through registering for a sales tax permit in Connecticut. For more information about sales tax in Connecticut, check out our Connecticut Sales Tax Guide for Businesses page.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Connecticut?
Anyone engaged in business in Connecticut, which includes selling tangible personal property for storage, use or other consumption in this state, or selling taxable services, must register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services for a Sales and Use Tax Permit. Read here for more about sales tax nexus from the Connecticut DRS.
Businesses with multiple locations must apply for a Connecticut sales tax permit in each location.
Failure to obtain a tax permit will result in a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment of not more than three months, or both, for each offense.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Connecticut?
You have several options to register for your Connecticut sales tax permit:
1.) Register online at the Connecticut Taxpayer Services Center
2.) Fill out form REG-1 and remit it, along with a check for Connecticut’s sales tax permit application fee of $100, to:
Department of Revenue Services State of Connecticut
PO Box 2937
Hartford CT 06104-2937
You can also visit a Connecticut Department of Revenue field office to apply.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Connecticut?
- Business identification information
- Major business activity
- Business entity type
- All business owners and officers
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Connecticut?
Connecticut requires a $100 fee to apply for a sales tax permit.
5. How long does it take to receive your Connecticut sales tax permit?
If you register online, a temporary Connecticut sales tax permit will be available immediately. You can use this until your permanent sales tax permit is available within 15 days. You’ll also receive a permit immediately if you walk-in to a Connecticut DRS field office.
Paper applications will be processed within 2-3 weeks.
6. Do you have to renew your Connecticut sales tax permit?
Connecticut sales tax permits are valid for 2 years after the date of issuance. Beyond that, they must be renewed. (The renewal period was formerly 5 years, but this will change January 1, 2018.)
7. How can I learn more about Connecticut sales tax?
- Read our Connecticut Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Connecticut Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Have questions about sales tax permits in Connecticut? Start the conversation in the comments!
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
Ready to automate sales tax? To learn more about TaxJar and get started, visit TaxJar.com/how-it-works.