Last updated July 17, 2017
These instructions will help you secure a South Dakota sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in South Dakota check out our South Dakota Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in South Dakota?
Any retailer engaged in business in South Dakota is required to have a sales tax permit. Find out more about what South Dakota considers “engaged in business.”
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in South Dakota?
You can apply online at the South Dakota Tax Application website or call 1-800-829-9188 for more information on applying in person.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in South Dakota?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- Business entity type
- Business description
- Date started doing business in South Dakota
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in South Dakota?
It’s free to apply for a sales tax permit, but other South Dakota business registration fees may apply.
5. How long does it take to receive your South Dakota sales tax permit?
Your South Dakota sales tax license will be issued once it is approved. Most states take 1-2 weeks to issue a sales tax license.
6. Do you have to renew your South Dakota sales tax permit?
You do not need to renew your South Dakota sales tax permit.
7. How can I learn more about South Dakota sales tax?
- Read our South Dakota Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the South Dakota Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts