If you use TaxJar but file your sales tax returns manually, it’s important to enter your sales tax payments in TaxJar once you’ve filed.
You should keep track of your sales tax paid because:
- It’s a running record of your payments should you ever need to go back and look at them
- It gives you peace of mind that you actually remembered to pay (nobody wants to wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night wondering “Did I file sales tax in California last month?”)
- It will instantly update your TaxJar dashboard so you can see at-a-glance when your next filing is due
Haven’t been entering payments? Here’s how to get started.
How to Enter Your Sales Tax Payments in TaxJar
- Login to TaxJar
- Go to the Simple Payment Recorder (you can also find this link on your Sales Tax Payment History page or from any of your state reports)
- Enter all of your payment information. You can even enter a $0.00 if you filed a “zero return.” Double check that you are entering your payment info for the correct tax period. If you pay quarterly and TaxJar is only giving you the option to enter sales tax paid monthly, double check that your state filing frequency is setup correctly in TaxJar. If it isn’t, go to your state settings and click “change” next to the state that you wish to change, and then select the correct frequency.
- Check out your dashboard. You’ll now see when your next payment is due!
- Make sure to repeat these steps for all states. When you’re done, your dashboard will show you all of your upcoming sales tax filing due dates.
Where to Find Your Sales Tax Payment History
To see all of your sales tax payments to all states, go to the Sales Tax Payment History page in your TaxJar account. If you AutoFile all or some of your sales tax returns, you’ll see those payments listed here, too.
Then, navigate over to your TaxJar dashboard and you’ll see all of your upcoming sales tax filing due dates:
Have questions about recording sales tax payments in TaxJar? Start the conversation in the comments!