Amazon has been busily filling out their fulfillment network with the goal of getting more products to more customers more quickly. These days they even have their own Amazon cargo planes!
For FBA sellers, rapid changes to Amazon’s fulfillment network may mean that you have inventory, and thus sales tax nexus, in more places. Here’s what you need to know:
New Amazon Fulfillment Center States
If you’re reading this post after publication date, keep in mind that new Amazon fulfillment centers are opening almost weekly. Check our dedicated blog post for our most up-to-date list of Amazon fulfillment centers.
Over the past few years, Amazon and the state of Illinois fought a pitched battle over taxes. Now that that battle is over, Amazon is rapidly staking their claim in the state with at least 5 new facilities. After all, Chicago is a huge population center and Illinois’ interstates serve a large portion of the Midwest’s presumed Amazon customers.
Two Illinois Amazon fulfillment centers are open now:
- #STL4 – 3050 Gateway Commerce Center Dr S, Edwardsville, IL – Madison County
- #STL6 & STL7 – 3931 Lakeview Corporate Drive, Edwardsville, IL 62025 – Madison County
And at least three more are opening soon:
- #MDW6 – 1125 W Remington Blvd, Romeoville, IL 60446 – Planned 2016
- Monee, IL Fulfillment Center – Planned for 2016 or 2017
- Joliet, IL fulfillment center location planned to open by 2017 (Amazon also has a “redistribution center” located in Joliet, but according to our accounting advisors that facility doesn’t create sales tax nexus because products aren’t for sale there. We always encourage you to consult your own accountants or advisors have to say about your nexus!)
Amazon closed their facilities in Kansas early in 2015, but promised to build more. That time has now arrived, with Amazon opening their newest fulfillment center in Edgerton and promising more. Here’s the current status:
- #MKC4 – 19645 Waverly Rd., Edgerton, KS 66021-9588 – Johnson County
Planned for the future:
- Kansas City, Kansas facility announced back in July 2016 with an unknown opening date
Amazon recently opened their first fulfillment center in the state.
- #BOS7 – 1180 Innovation Way, Fall River, MA 02722
Amazon also announced their move into Ohio earlier this year, and have already opened one facility.
- #CMH2 – 6050 Gateway Court, Obetz OH 43125-9016 – Franklin County
Planned for the future:
- #CMH1 – 11903 National Rd SW, Etna, OH 43062
As always, you can see from which states your items are shipping by logging into your TaxJar account and looking for the brown Amazon badge on your dashboard. Don’t have a TaxJar account? No worries!
Try a 30-day, no-risk free TaxJar trial today!
For more info about Amazon and sales tax, try our Sales Tax for Amazon FBA Sellers guide. We’ll help you get started with FBA sales tax from registering with the states to filing a return.
Have questions or something to say about the newest Amazon fulfillment centers? Start the conversation in the comments!