Why use TaxJar?
We get it. You didn’t start business so you could have a reason to file a sales tax return. But if you have nexus in Virginia and are required to file a sales tax return, we’re here to help make it easier. Less time spent on sales tax means more time on the profitable parts of your business. In this post, we’ll show you how to file a Virginia return using TaxJar and you’ll be done and on your way in minutes.
If you’d rather not spend time filing a Virginia sales tax return ever again, enroll in TaxJar AutoFile and let us handle it. Never worry about missing a due dates or remember your state login and password again! Learn how TaxJar AutoFile can solve your sales tax headaches.
TaxJar integrates with the eCommerce marketplaces and platforms you already use – Amazon, PayPal, Shopify, Magento, BigCommerce and many more. We import your data, and then we prepare your Virginia TaxJar Report in the format that you need to file. We also tell you exactly how much you collected in all related counties, municipal districts, special taxing jurisdictions and more– so you don’t have to try and figure out which county each of your customers lives in. This is a substantial savings in time and in headaches!
Filing sales tax reports in Virginia used to be painful. But TaxJar does the work for you so you don’t have to bother with complicated spreadsheets, tax lookup tables and even street maps!
What You’ll Need
In order to file your sales tax return, it’s important to gather a few key documents and pieces of information.
Every state has specific requirements. Generally, we recommend:
- Your TaxJar Virginia Sales Tax Report
- Your Virginia sales and use tax account number
- Your state-assigned filing frequency
- Your Virginia electronic filing login details (ie: Your Virginia Department of Taxation Username & Password)
- Your bank account number and routing number that you’d like to use for sales tax payment
Note: In some states, you’ll need additional verification pieces like a Letter ID (ie: Hawaii), an identification number (ie: Kansas) a limited access code (in California), etc. Be prepared to take a few extra steps to ensure your account is secure.
Once you’ve gathered the items above, you’re ready to file your return.
Steps to manually filing a sales tax return in Virginia
- Open your TaxJar Report for Virginia
- Select the Record Filing button at the top of your report
- Use the links on the top right to locate the state’s filing website or download a paper form
- Copy the information from your TaxJar Virginia Report into the state’s website. View detailed instructions on using TaxJar Reports to file a return including a note on how to file when Marketplace Facilitator Tax collectedNote: You can pay sales and use tax returns 3 different ways in Virginia: eForms, Business iFile or Web Upload.
We’ll outline the process for eForms.
- Let’s begin:
- Select the form you’ll need to file. (ST-9 for VA residents, ST-8 for out of state sellers.)Fill in your Business Information, including your filing frequency and account number.Click on the Schedule ST-8B/ST-8R tab at the top of the page. This form will ask for your Gross Sales and Exempt Sales by municipality. You’ll see the Gross Sales listed by each jurisdiction in your TaxJar Report for VA. Select the jurisdiction from the dropdown menu and enter the Total Sales and Taxed Sales numbers from your Report and click “Add Locality.” If the Taxed Sales totals are less than the Gross Sales totals for a jurisdiction in your TaxJar Report, subtract the Taxed Sales from Gross Sales to determine the amount that was exempt. Continue until you’ve added each jurisdiction listed in your TaxJar Report.
When you’ve finished, click the “Back to ST-8 Form” button.
Click the “Calculate” button and the form should calculate the amount due. Check to be sure the Gross Sale total in line 1 matches the Gross Sales total in your TaxJar Virginia Sales Tax Report.
Click the “Pay Now” button to submit payment. This brings up a box where you’ll need to enter your banking and routing details, along with the Payment Date. Click “Continue.”
Review the payment details and once you’ve done this, click “Confirm Payment” to move forward.
Next, you’ll be given the opportunity to enter your email address to receive an email confirmation. You’ll also need to enter your name and phone number for your Electronic Signature. Click “OK” when you’ve finished.
The next page will provide confirmation details for your records.
You’ll also want to log into TaxJar and record the payment in your Payment History.
- Record your filing & payment with TaxJar for organized sales tax records and easy-access at a later date
State resources to help you file your return
Virginia knows that filing a sales tax return can be hard, so they provide resources to business owners to help teach you how to file. We’ve done the work for you and compiled a list of helpful links, videos and resources to make filing your first sales tax return easier.
Virginia state information:
- Virginia website
- Virginia sales tax information page
- Virginia sales tax department phone number (804-367-8037)
How to file a return in Virginia:
New or first-time filers:
Need more help?
We get it. Sometimes it just helps to talk to someone. At TaxJar we provide general education, but we’re not CPAs. As much as we’d like to help, we aren’t able to give specific recommendations or advice for your business. However, we’re pleased to connect you with one of our recommended sales tax partners.
We maintain a list of vetted sales tax experts that can help with all things sales tax from registration assistance to general consulting and advice. These partners are familiar with the ins and outs of eCommerce sales tax and are here to help you.
Do you have questions about filing a sales tax return in Virginia? Start the conversation in the comments