South Carolina doesn’t make it easy to file sales tax returns, which is why we created TaxJar. TaxJar’s state reports simplify the process of filing a return and can save you hours spent on managing sales tax. We wrote this post as a step-by-step guide for using TaxJar’s report to fill in the info you need to file your South Carolina sales tax return.
If you’d rather not spend time filing a South Carolina sales tax return ever again, enroll in TaxJar AutoFile and let us handle it. Never worry about missing a due dates or remember your state login and password again! Learn how TaxJar AutoFile can solve your sales tax headaches.
What You’ll Need
In order to file your sales tax return, it’s important to gather a few key documents and pieces of information.
Every state has specific requirements. Generally, we recommend:
- Your TaxJar South Carolina Sales Tax Report
- Your South Carolina sales and use tax account number
- Your state-assigned filing frequency
- Your South Carolina electronic filing login details (ie: Your South Carolina MyDORWAY of Revenue Password)
- Your bank account number and routing number that you’d like to use for sales tax payment
Note: In some states, you’ll need additional verification pieces like a Letter ID (ie: Hawaii), an identification number (ie: Kansas) a limited access code (in California), etc. Be prepared to take a few extra steps to ensure your account is secure.
Once you’ve gathered the items above, you’re ready to file your return.
Steps to manually filing a sales tax return in South Carolina
- Open your TaxJar Report for South Carolina
- Select the Record Filing button at the top of your report
- Use the links on the top right to locate the state’s filing website or download a paper form
- Copy the information from your TaxJar South Carolina Report into the state’s website. View detailed instructions on using TaxJar Reports to file a return including a note on how to file when Marketplace Facilitator Tax collected
- Remit payment directly with the state
- Record your filing & payment with TaxJar for organized sales tax records and easy-access at a later date
State resources to help you file your return
South Carolina knows that filing a sales tax return can be hard, so they provide resources to business owners to help teach you how to file. We’ve done the work for you and compiled a list of helpful links, videos and resources to make filing your first sales tax return easier.
South Carolina state information:
- South Carolina website
- South Carolina sales tax information page
- South Carolina sales tax department phone number (803-898-5000)
How to file a return in South Carolina:
New or first-time filers:
Need more help?
We get it. Sometimes it just helps to talk to someone. At TaxJar we provide general education, but we’re not CPAs. As much as we’d like to help, we aren’t able to give specific recommendations or advice for your business. However, we’re pleased to connect you with one of our recommended sales tax partners.
We maintain a list of vetted sales tax experts that can help with all things sales tax from registration assistance to general consulting and advice. These partners are familiar with the ins and outs of eCommerce sales tax and are here to help you.
Do you have questions about filing a sales tax return in South Carolina? Start the conversation in the comments.