This step-by-step guide will help you save time filing a South Carolina sales tax return. Or better yet, have TaxJar AutoFile your South Carolina sales tax return going forward. Sign up for AutoFile today!
What You’ll Need:
1) Your TaxJar South Carolina Sales Tax Report
2) Your South Carolina MyDORWAY Username
3) Your South Carolina MyDORWAY Password
4) Your bank account number
5) Your routing number
How to File a South Carolina Sales Tax Return
Estimated time (with TaxJar): 5-10 minutes (Depending on county sales volume)
1) Open your TaxJar South Carolina Sales Tax Report
2) Decide whether to use your Actual Sales Tax Collected Report or Expected Sales Tax Due report.
(Note: In most cases, we recommend using the numbers from your “Actual Sales Tax Collected Report,” but you may want to use your “Expected Sales Tax Due Report” if you were not collecting sales tax and need to report sales tax you should have collected.)
2) Click the blue “file manually” link at the bottom of your “South Carolina Actual Sales Tax Collected Report.” The next page will show you the main details you’ll need to complete the return form, and also provide a link to file online at the South Carolina MyDORWAY website.
3) Login to MyDORWAY using your state username and password
4) Click “File Return” next to the period you need to file. (In South Carolina you will file either monthly, quarterly or annually.)
5) For “Item 1. Gross Proceeds of Sales” enter your “Gross Sales” total from your TaxJar South Carolina Report.
(Note: Enter $0.00 for “Item 2.” unless you want to report use tax you owe to the state of SC.)
6) On this page, you’ll be asked to fill out how much sales tax you collected from each local area in South Carolina.
Use the amounts on your TaxJar South Carolina report here:
To fill out your South Carolina sales tax filing here:
Make sure you fill out each row and column (Capital Project, Location Option, School District, etc.) Note that some areas, such as Charleston, may have more than one local tax.
7) On the next page, check for data entry errors by making sure the “Sales Subject to Local Tax” on your South Carolina filing matches “Local Tax Due” on your TaxJar South Carolina sales tax report.
In the rare case that you have local deductions, click “View/Edit Local Deductions” to add them.
8) On this page, double check your numbers against your TaxJar South Carolina state report.
“State Sales and Use Tax Due” and “Total Local Sales and Use Tax Due” should both match your South Carolina TaxJar report.
9) Click Submit. You’ll be asked to confirm by re-entering your South Carolina MyDORWAY password. Once your return has been successfully submitted, you’ll be given a confirmation number. We suggest printing your confirmation for your records.
10) Submit a payment from the confirmation screen by clicking “Add Payment.”
11) Follow the instructions to pay via checking or savings account. South Carolina only allows you to pay via ACH debit.
12) The final step: Login to TaxJar and record the payment in your Payment History.
And that’s it! You’re all set and have filed your South Carolina sales tax return.
Never want to do that again? We don’t blame you. You can use TaxJar AutoFile to file your sales tax returns going forward. Enroll in AutoFile today!