These instructions will help you secure a Colorado sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Colorado, check out our Colorado Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Colorado?
According to the Colorado Department of Revenue, If your business will be selling, renting or leasing tangible personal property, you must obtain a sales tax license and file sales tax returns.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Colorado?
If your business is based in Colorado, apply here.
If your business is based outside of Colorado, complete this form.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Colorado?
Personal identification information
Business identification information
Business entity type
Products that you sell
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Colorado?
It costs $16 to apply for a Colorado sales tax permit. There’s also a $50 deposit.
5. How long does it take to receive your Colorado sales tax permit?
If you apply online you’ll receive your sales tax permit number the same day. If you file by mail, allow 2-3 weeks to receive your paper license.
6. Do you have to renew your Colorado sales tax permit?
Yes, Colorado sales tax licenses must be renewed every 2 years, at a cost of $16 for each business location in Colorado.