For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Pennsylvania, check out Pennsylvania Sales Tax Resources.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Pennsylvania?
From the website:
The sales and use tax is imposed on the retail sale, consumption, rental or use of tangible personal property in Pennsylvania. The tax is also imposed on certain services relating to such property and on the charge for specific business services. Major items exempt from the tax include food (not ready-to-eat); candy and gum; most clothing; textbooks; computer services; pharmaceutical drugs; sales for resale; and residential heating fuels such as oil, electricity, gas, coal and firewood.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Pennsylvania?
Pennsylvania has an online option to register for most licenses and other business registrations. There’s even a site for the specific form you need, the PA-100. Register for your sales tax online at the Online PA100 site.
Alternatively, you can download and print out the PA-100 and send it to:
Commonwealth of PA
Department of Revenue
Bureau of Business Trust Fund Taxes
PO Box 280901
Harrisburg, PA 17128-0901
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Pennsylvania?
– Enterprise Information (name, date of operations, etc.)
– Taxes you’re applying for
– Business structure
– Owners/Partners/Shareholders etc. information
– Business activity information
– Transient vendor certificate, if applicable
– Promoter license, if applicable
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Pennsylvania?
Pennsylvania does not charge for a sales tax permit. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Pennsylvania sales tax permit?
After you register, you will receive your license(s) and/or registration notice(s) in the mail in 7 to 10 business days. This is much faster if you register online rather than mailing in the forms.
6. Do you have to renew your Pennsylvania sales tax permit?
Pennsylvania does require you to renew your sales tax permit. Your permit must be renewed no less than every five years.