Last updated August 26, 2016
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Illinois
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Illinois?
You must register before you make any purchases or sales or when you hire an employee.
3. What information do you need to register or a sales tax permit in Illinois?
- Identifying information about your business
- Type of business
- Owners and officers
- Description of business activities
- Do you live out of state but have sales tax nexus in Illinois? Read here to determine which address to use when registering for your Illinois sales tax permit.
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Illinois?
It is free to apply for a sales tax permit in Illinois. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Illinois sales tax permit?
Sellers who register online should receive their Illinois sales tax permit within two business days. If you choose to mail in your Illinois states sales tax permit registration, please allow 6-8 weeks for processing.
6. Do you have to renew your Illinois sales tax permit?
Sellers are not required to renew your Illinois sales tax permit, but you should update it with any address change, ownership change, additional tax responsibilities, or a new location.
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Illinois, check out Illinois Sales Tax Resources.