What you want from your sales tax engine is simple: collect the right amount of sales tax from customers every time.
But the states, with their over 10,000 taxing jurisdictions and arcane rules about taxability can make this needlessly difficult! That’s where TaxJar’s SmartCalcs Sales Tax API comes in. Unlike other sales tax engines, the SmartCalcs sales tax API takes all taxability rules into account so merchants and developers only need to install and configure it once.
See for yourself! Check out our interactive SmartCalcs Sales Tax API Demo to see how we handle complex sales tax issues for your shopping cart or marketplace:
Trying out the different scenarios in this demo you can see how SmartCalcs Sales Tax API:
- Calculates sales tax accurately at the state, county, city and other “special taxing district” levels
- Handles sourcing rules like origin and destination-based sales tax
- Deals with product taxability, like the complicated New York clothing exemption
- Accounts for shipping taxability (i.e. some states require you to charge sales tax on shipping charges, others don’t)
- Provides international support – SmartCals sales tax API supports the EU and Canada with more areas coming soon
Want a look under the hood? Check out Building the SmartCalcs API Demo from our Developer Evangelist Jake Johnson.